To say that nature is important to human beings would be, to say the least, insufficient. In fact, it is primordial, essential and irreplaceable. It is very important that children, from an early age, learn through their parents and educators to respect and value nature and the environment.
One of the most important teachings is that anyone can contribute to the protection of wildlife.
Sharing a passion for nature and wildlife conservation with friends and family is already an important contribution. No act of conservation is too small. We need to respect and protect Earth's wildlife.
How to help wildlife?
- We must not modify the natural habitat of animals, removing branches, flowers, leaves, stones, etc. Everything in a habitat is important to the animals that live in it.
- Animals survive through the food available in their environments and ecosystems. We must not feed wild animals in their habitat. If it is permissible to feed animals in a park or reserve, only offer food suitable for that species of animal, such as seeds, fresh fruit or vegetables. Never offer industrialized foods, as this type of food can make them sick.
- When we enter a forest or park, we are entering the house of the animals that live there. That's why it's important to walk only along the existing trails, so as not to disturb or scare them.
- We should not touch the animals, just observe them from afar. Instead of trying to get close, we can just photograph them or observe them with binoculars.
- We should keep dogs on a leash so they don't chase wild animals. It is also important to gather the poop from the bunches as they can affect wildlife and cause disease.
- Not buying products made with endangered animals or parts of animals can contribute to wildlife trafficking from being a lucrative business.
- Awareness of proper waste disposal is also important. The heads of birds and other animals can get caught in plastic rings. Fish can get caught in nets. In addition, garbage pollutes natural resources. Avoiding drinking water and other beverages in plastic bottles can be a valuable step to protect the environment.
- Engaging in volunteer services in the neighborhood's green spaces can be enjoyable and make a big difference to wildlife.
For children to love and respect nature, they need our example. It's never too late to start taking action.
Click here to download educational and fun activities to do with children.
The source of this information is at nationalgeographic.com